1. Chow down on the classic peameal bacon sandwich. St. Lawrence Market’s Carousel Bakery is the city’s best-known purveyor.
2. Load up on Ontario maple syrup, available practically everywhere. For an upscale gift, splurge on Ninutik’s Cube 57, an arty maple sugar cube presented in a handcrafted maple box.
3. Try birch syrup, maple’s more complex sister, with semi-sweet nuances of honey,
caramel and licorice, plus balsamic spice. Intrigued? Forbes Wild Foods offers this and other traditional preserves.
4. Enjoy Ontario’s late-spring fiddlehead harvest. Freshly harvested fiddleheads usually hit restaurant menus and farmers’ markets in June.
5. With 30 award-winning varieties, Kozlik’s artisan mustards pass muster with discerning sandwich lovers (salad dressing mixologists, marinade crafters, etc.).